Tuesday, January 17, 2017

What It Means to Be a Traveler

What It Means to Be a Traveler.
Tuesday, January 17, 2017
7:48 AM

By around 7:30 in the morning we were headed on our way to our new adventure: Koh Chang.

Before I begin writing about our journey there, I would like to write about our visit to the Monkey Temple yesterday (1/16/16). The Monkey Temple is beautiful, monkeys everywhere (and by everywhere, I mean on top of buildings, falling in the water and climbing onto every single tree). The stairs at the temple were a major work out; I was out of air by the time I arrived to the top. As a new tourist exploring the country of Thailand, I will be encountering new experiences, some may be pleasant and same may not.

What I witnessed happening at the Monkey temple was not pleasant in any way. After visiting the temple at the top of the stairs and coming back down, some Hamline students (including myself) noticed another group of tourist feeding the monkeys. Of course, there is nothing wrong with feeding them (you can buy a bucket of peanuts for 50 baht), but it become a problem when they pretended to hand the monkeys the food, just to take it away when they got close. These actions are rude (not only to the monkeys but the Thai residents as well) and dangerous. At that moment, I was frustrated and upset, I couldn't understand his actions. Not only was it cruel to the monkeys, but it created a negative image of tourist. I started to think about my professor and class group, what were people thinking of us? I made this comment out loud and my professor talked to us about a different perspective. She reminded us that some tourists are first time travelers, travelers who made not have been able to travel before. This perspective didn't change my emotions, but it did change my understanding of these travelers. It's true, traveling is an experience from which we grow to adapt to different cultures, values, and expectations.  Some travelers may still be learning how to be a good traveler (like myself).

Airplane View of Bangkok

It's not easy to travel. It may sound fun, but it's harder than many may think.

First off, I've learned to be prepared for any delay such as a flight delay or rode traffic, or even a simple change of gates. Which is what happened to our Hamline class today. Instead of boarding from gate 1, we boarded though gate 2. No big deal; "mai pen rai." While boarding the plane, I saw a section dedicated to the Buddhist monks. My professor told me that monks were the first to board the plane. Meaning we will have to wait and that's okay. This is a country that is hugely influenced by its religion, respecting this is essential to understanding the Thai culture and its people. Being flexible is key as a new, learning traveler.


Furthermore, I've learn to accommodate for the long hours of travel, such as today. Taking an hour flight from Chiang Rai to Bangkok wasn't bad at all, fairly simple and quick. Sleeping through it was sure helpful, but other Hamline students listened to music or read books (class readings). The real challenge was the 5 1/2 hours of travel on bus from Bangkok to the ferry that would take us to Koh Chang. Personally, it wasn't rough for me as it may or may not have been for others. I had my music and readings to keep me company. Although I would suggest just plugging your head phones in and looking out the window. The view was spectacular. By simply staring out into a world I didn't know about, I've learned things about this world. How important farming is to them (especially growing rice) by the numerous rice paddies all around, the shrines and temples that proudly demonstrate their religion, the markets that provide a form of income for many families in Thailand, and the form of respect for each other by greeting with the wai. I've learned so much by simple observing. 

Second, I've learned that where ever we've traveled, there were expectations; things that are acceptable and that are not. In Thailand, showing the bottom of my foot would be disrespectful (the bottom of an individual's foot is equivalent to showing the middle finger in the US). When riding motorcycles, it's required by law to use a hamlet, but many Thai's don't follow this rule very often. I've learned to bargain at the markets and when I agree to a set price, I pay that set price because going back on my word would be disrespectful. Most importantly, I've learned to greet the Thai people with the wai as a form of respect and I've learned that as a female I must use the words "Ka" at the end of my greeting (example: sa-wat-dee means "hello", so I would say "sa-wat-dee-ka"). 

Third, I've enjoy this traveling experience to the fullest. I've joined the culture through greeting, surpassing my picky eating, and my growing admiration for their beautiful temples. Having arrived at Koh Chang, I decided to go out went out for the rest of the evening and explore the beach. Walking on the White Sand Beach was calming. A light blue color with cold (but not freezing) waters, gentle waves that create a crashing shore noise as they reach the rocks along the shore line. Absolutely stunning.


 I've learned a lot about the Thai culture, I've adapted and I'm currently still enjoying it. After all, this is what traveling is all about: learning, adapting, and becoming a better traveler.