Thursday, January 26, 2017

A Trip of a Lifetime

Since arriving back in the United States, I have woken up every morning expecting to be in Thailand. I shiver when I get out of bed because my body isn't used to the cold and the winter wonderland outside my window is bleak in comparison to the jungle that I saw every morning in Thailand. I didn't think I would fall this fast for a country, but boy... am I in love with Thailand.
I went on this trip with the intention to learn about the students I work with, the Karen. What ended up happening was I learned more about myself than I ever thought I would. These past three weeks have been the happiest weeks of my life in a long time. It was what I exactly needed before starting student teaching.
While on this trip, I learned what it meant to let things go and just be along for the ride. I am a Type A personality. I've always needed to know exactly what is going on and what is happening. Through my time at Thailand, I learned the joy with going with the flow and having the plan change. It is beautiful when the plan changes. It allows you to experience something you might not have if you stuck to the plan.
I learned how to fully open oneself up to others, without reservation. The children at Starfish opened themselves up to us the moment we walked through the door. It only took a couple of minutes but I felt at home with them and they felt at home with me. I have spent a large portion of my life keeping walls up and just floating by in relationships. But the kids showed me that it is worth the risk to open up right away to someone. While there was a language barrier between us, I felt incredibly close to the kids at Starfish and miss them dearly.
I could go on about how much I have changed in these past couple of weeks and I am sure that I will find more ways that I have changed over the next couple of months. But I know with every fiber of my being that this trip and class was the best decision I have made while I have been at Hamline. The relationships, knowledge, and confidence I have gained on this trip has been incredible, I'm sad that this trip is over but I know that someday, I will return to Thailand.