Monday, January 2, 2017

Packing priorities

As I prepare to leave for Thailand in two days (!), I obsess about and continue to create lists of the essentials: my passport, the important documents I carry on behalf of the students, my clothes and toiletries, spending money. My mind races to name all of the possible necessities; some additional entries I add to the list, others (will inevitably) fall from my urgent consciousness. Deep breaths and conversations with my family and colleagues remind me that a positive attitude and flexible spirit are likely the most crucial items necessary in order to successfully navigate this incredible journey -- not whether I packed enough pairs of shorts or jeans. I am excited to experience a culture by immersing myself completely in it; however, it is that sense of immersion that creates some hesitancy. How will I handle encounters with little to no common language? What will I do when fear creates hesitancy (either about a food with which I am unfamiliar or perhaps I might struggle to understand directions in a moment of panic lost in the crowded market)? Will I find hesitancy when faced with the very real historical trauma of the children who will graciously share their space with us? My goal for this adventure is to consider and notice the hesitancy (while in moments on the trip and also in my life beyond this study abroad trip) and make a commitment to combat the hesitancy with the positive attitude and flexible spirit that I have packed into my heart.