Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Last Day at Home

I am a strange mixture of excitement and nerves today as we cover all of the last-minute details before we head for Thailand.

I am excited to see the world, to meet the children at the school we will be working at, and to try all of the food. Each day, I am getting more and more excited to go hiking up to the waterfalls and to see the jungles and the wildlife. Today in class, we looked at the itinerary and it lists things like visiting elephant camps, different temples, and full days spent snorkeling around the island of Koh Chang. Snorkeling!! This trip is going to be so far out of anything I have experienced before. I can't wait to experience the culture and the Thai way of life and to come back home with an abundance of memories and stories to share.

At the same time, I am nervous to leave home. This will be the longest I have been away from home, and the spotty communication makes me nervous. I am going to miss being home and being able to talk to my friends and family, but I am excited for this opportunity to go out and try new things and to share my experiences.

I want to find at least one thing each day to write about and remember; something small like a child understanding and learning something new, or the experience of walking through a night market in Chiang Mai. I can't wait for this experience, and I am so excited to capture it through both pictures and writings. More coming soon!