Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Beautiful Buddhist Temples

This morning we left Chiang Mai and returned to Starfish School. While I loved eating my way through the markets in Chiang Mai, it feels good to be back in the countryside. The kids are thrilled that we are back and are constantly vying for our attention. Whenever we see the kids they immediately run to hug us, grab our hands and arms, and occasionally pry another kid's hand out of ours. We were able visit and observe the kids' classes this morning. After being baffled for a minute about how to subtract three digit numbers, I was able to brush up on my elementary math skills and help the kids with their assignments.

After lunch we visited two Buddhist temples. The first temple was actually located inside of a cave called Chiang Dao cave. While I have visited many caves, it was really different seeing offerings,  Buddha, and people praying  amongst the stalactites and stalagmites. I learned that at one point the temple was located outside and hermits and animals lived inside the cave. Eventually in order to protect the Buddha from the elements,  the temple was moved inside the cave.

My favorite temple I have visited so far was nestled in the hills surrounded by lush forest. On our way up to the temple two women asked us if we would carry food up to the monks. We agreed and hauled the baskets full of food up over 500 steps to an outdoor  kitchen where we deposited our load. We then climbed up a few more stairs to the temple where the Buddha and pictures of monks were framed by a rock cliff. Another staircase led to a an overlook where you could look out over the tree tops which were covered in mist. While I am not religious, I could feel that the temple was a very peaceful and spiritual place.