Friday, January 13, 2017

Final Day at Starfish

There are many wonderful experiences to discuss regarding the beauty that is Thailand, but the moments that have brought me the most joy were those with the children here at Starfish Country Home School. Now that I am at the final hours of my stay here, I am reflecting on what I have learned. I have compiled a top 5 list (as is the common practice among internet blogs) of the best parts of Starfish School.

5 Things That Make Starfish a Wonderful Place

1. The energy of the students

The children are like any child you'd meet in the United States, but unlike children in the U.S. Starfish students are continuously aware of the gift that education can be. Education is a fundamental right for every person, but these students work so hard because they know that the reality is different for many around them. They demonstrate their hard work and excitement for school so readily.

2. The staff love their students

From the beginning of my stay, I see how hard the staff works from sun up to sun down to ensure that students feel at home here. Today I watched a ballet put on by students, it was clear that there was a lot of hard work and dedication put into Alice in Wonderland. The performance was amazingly choreographed, and backstage amongst the hustle I saw so many staff giving last minute pep talks to the girls and painting their faces in bright shades of blue and pink. What a special experience.

3. The food!

I have loved everything I have eaten. That is all.

4. A strong foundation built by love

Dick Haugland worked hard for students across numerous schools, but you can see his passion in the curriculum and reverence students have for his memory. In the tennis court, two huge banners hang in his memory. Letitia said that on her last visit 3 years ago, he was always playing with the kids. They were his purpose.

5. This school is providing a bright future for students

From the day they arrive to the days after graduation Starfish looks after its students and ensures continuous access to education.

My time at this school has reminded me that childhood is sacred and education is vital to a strong society. Seeing so many children who come from disenfranchised communities coming together to learn, makes me believe that Thailand will continue to grow towards universal quality education for all.

I look forward to the coming days in Chiang Mai and Koh Chang but I will never forget the amazing time I have had at Starfish.