Thursday, January 26, 2017

Reflecting on my time in Thailand

It is hard finding words to describe my amazing experience in Thailand. I went in with high expectations and Thailand did not disappoint. From the mountainous hikes in the north to the snorkeling adventures in the south I found every part of this trip to be valuable. Before leaving on this trip in my first blog post I shared that I had a goal for myself to be open and to try new things while in Thailand. I believe I met that goal on this trip; I said yes to new adventures and to trying new foods. While on this trip I learned about so many aspects of Thai culture and was so impressed with what I discovered. Some of the most interesting experiences on the trip were the temple visits. They taught me not only about Thailand's religion, but also about proper temple etiquette which can be applicable to any travel experiences I may have in the future. Also on this trip I learned how to be a responsible traveler and how to dig deeper into the new experiences I was having. I learned to look at both sides of issues such as the good and the bad sides of riding elephants. Through class readings and discussion, I learned about how fun elephant camps can seem but also how harmful they can be to the elephants. I’m glad our class was able to experience a camp that positively supported elephants. 
Thailand changed the way I view my own country and culture. Going on this trip has instilled in me a desire to travel. Having the experience of volunteering abroad has made me realize I would like to do more volunteering or work abroad in the future. The kids also reaffirmed my desire of choosing a career path that allows me to work with children. Reflecting on this trip has had me thinking a lot about what we could do better here in the U.S. I think here in the states we could all benefit from practicing mai pen rai. This is the equivalent of ‘it’s no big deal’ or ‘just let it go’. I was amazed at the fact that one of our vans hit a scooter while in Thailand and neither the man on the scooter nor our driver had any harsh words to say to each other. I think mai pen rai creates more understanding among people and I believe that is something we need more of here in the United States.  

Someday I hope to be able to visit the Starfish school once again but until then, I’m challenging myself to keep in touch with the Starfish students. I know I won’t have a problem with maintaining the relationships I have made. I love receiving the students’ emails and pictures probably more than they enjoy receiving mine. The emails with the lines "I love you so much" and "thank you for being my Hamline sister" help remind me what this trip was really about. This exchange has allowed us college students to build amazing friendships with elementary aged students half way around the world and I think that is truly amazing. Thailand has opened my eyes and the Starfish students have opened my heart; this was an experience I know I will never forget!