Thursday, January 26, 2017

Digesting Thailand

In my first blog I wrote I was feeling very unprepared for Thailand. I hadn't begun packing or preparing for the trip and we were leaving the next day. While I did end up getting my suitcase packed, I never could have prepared myself for the experiences I was about to have in Thailand. I couldn't have prepared myself to grow so much as a person during only a three week period.

Almost everyday I was pushed out of my comfort zone. Whether it was riding a plane for a 16 hour flight, interacting with uncaged monkeys, riding elephants, snorkeling in the ocean, or spending time with the children at Starfish. Some of my most gratifying moments on the trip were created when I was pushed out of my comfort zone. When I was looking at the itinerary for the trip I thought I would get through the first part, but not really start enjoying myself until we had left Starfish. I had worked with kids before, but hadn't loved it and thought it would be more challenging with a language barrier. I was so wrong. The children at Starfish were some of the kindest and most compassionate people I had ever been around. They showed us love from the first moment we arrived and never stopped. Having three different children holding onto just one of our hands at a time was completely normal. The students at Starfish showed me how not only to be tolerant and understanding of different cultures, but also to embrace them and learn from them.

Another huge takeaway for me came from my experiences with the adults on this trip. Letitia and Jesson were outstanding leaders. They taught us to look at every situation through either two or more lenses and not to judge something off of face value. They were also incredibly fun individuals who shared themselves with us completely. Letitia and Jesson, along with Micky, Nam, June, Kim, Lek, and several other adults we met were compassionate about the work they were doing. As a second semester senior I found there passion for their careers inspiring and it made me hopeful that I will also find a career that is fulfilling and changes other people's lives for the better.